Ukraine is one of few countries of the world where aviation and space engineering are developed and manufactured and where skilled specialists are training for these areas.
The National Aerospace University Kharkov Aviation Institute is the leading one among the Ukrainian Educational Institutions, which turn out such Specialists.
The KhAI began in 1930. Its history is close connected with the development of Aircraft Engineering and Science. The University is famous for its creation of the first in Europe High-speed Airplane with a retractable landing gear and the creation of the design of the Turbojet Engine Developed by the Teacher of the KhAI A. M. Liulka who afterwards became the Academician and Designer of many structures of Aircraft Engines including the Engine of the Aircraft Su-27.
The KhAI is a unique Higher Educational Institution where the Airplanes developed by the Institute Design Bureau under the supervision of Professor I. G. Neman produced serially at the Aircraft Plants and run on passenger Airlines.
In 1992, the KhAI resumed the training of foreign students over 300 foreign citizens from 25 countries of Asia, Africa and America trained annually at the University.
From 1977 to 1984, the Designer General O.K. Antonov ran the Department of Airplane structure at the KhAI.
In 1978, the KhAI granted the name of N. E. Zhukovskiy.
In 1980, the institute receive award with the Lenin’s Order.
In 1998, the N. E. Zhukovskiy State Aerospace University “Kharkov Aviation Institute” was founded based on the KhAI and in 2000 the University got a status of the National Higher Education Institution and was renamed the National Aerospace University AKA Kharkov Aviation Institute.
During the period of its existence, the University has trained about 60 ths Engineers. More than 80% of the Specialists with Higher Education who work in Ukrainian Aerospace area are the graduates of the KhAI.
The distinctive special peculating of the KhAI is its close relations with the Industry. At present the Designers General and heads of the largest aerospace enterprises: Y. E. Isenberg, P.V. Balabuyev, V.A. Bogyslayev, I.V. Drenovskiy, S.M. Konyutov, F.M. Muravchenko, A.K. Mialitsa are employed at the University.
The KhAI is a Member of International Association of University’s; Global Association, Organization of Industry and Airport Technology; it is also in the International Catalogue and belongs to the Association of Higher Educational Institutions of Kharkov city INTERVUZ, as well as to the Aerospace Agency of Ukraine.
The KhAI is a co-executor of some Programs that are carry out with Universities and Companies of USA, Japan, Germany, France, Mexico and China. The University takes part in the Program of Creation of “Alfa” International Space Station.
The KhAI covers a separate territory of the city in the forest-part zone, its area amounts to about 25 hectares. The University has 8 Academic Buildings, Research Institute and Laboratories, library will 1 ml volume in stock, Campus, Sporty Complex, Swimming Pool, Preventorium Clinic of First Medical Aid, Dining Halls, Bank, Children Garden, etc.
STUDENT AND FACULTY
The University has trained about 60,000 Engineers. More than 80% of the Specialists with Higher Education who work in Ukrainian Aerospace Area are the graduates of the KhAI.
At present about 9500 students and 160 Post-Graduate Students, get training at the University; 650 Teachers and 2.5 ths Employers work here. Among them, there are 120 professors and candidates of science. Among the teachers of the University, there is one USSR State Lenin Prize winner, seven USSR State Prize winners, 28 Ukraine State Prize winners, 11 USSR Council of Ministers Prize winners.
- Faculty Aircraft
- Faculty of Aircraft Engines
- Faculty of Aircraft Control Systems
- Faculty of Rocket and Space Technology
- Faculty of Radio Systems for Aircraft
- Faculty of Economics and Management
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty Training and Prevocational Training
- Correspondence Department
- Faculty Training Foreign Citizens
- Aeronautical Engineering in English
- Airplanes and helicopters
- Aircraft engines and power plant
- Control systems of flying machines and their complexes
- Airplane and helicopter manufacturing
- Aircraft engine manufacturing
- Designing and manufacturing articles made in composite
- Rocket and space complexes
- Aerospace heat engineering
- Spacecraft engines and power plant
- Engines of rocket-space craft
- Life safety measures
- Information controlling systems and techniques
- Information design technologies
- Software of automated systems
- Robotic systems and complexes
- Radio electronic devices, systems and complexes
- Manufacture of electronic devices
- Aeronautical Engineering in English
- Airplanes and Helicopters
- Aircraft Engines and Power Plant
- Control Systems of Flying Machines and their Complexes
- Airplane and Helicopter Manufacturing
- Aircraft engine Manufacturing
- Designing and Manufacturing Articles Made in Composite
- Rocket and Space Complexes
- Aerospace Heat Engineering
- Spacecraft Engines and Power Plant
- Engines of Rocket-Space Craft
- Life Safety Measures
- Information Controlling Systems and Techniques
- Information Design Technologies
- Software of Automated Systems
- Robotic Systems and Complexes
- Radio Electronic Devices, Systems and Complexes
- Manufacture of Electronic Devices
- Technologies and Means of Telecommunication
- Specialized Computer Systems
- Information Measuring Systems
- Quality, Standardization and Certification
- Management of Organizations
- Gas Turbine Power Plants and Compressor Stations
- Biotechnical and Medical Apparatuses and Systems
- Metrology and Measuring Engineering
- Systems of Control and Automation
- Computer Systems and Networks
- Non-Conventional Sources of Power
You can live in a two-bed room on-campus:
there are 2 beds, a wardrobe, a table, bookshelves, chairs in the room;
there are bathroom facilities;
there is fitted kitchen with cooker
You can choose off-campus accommodation (to rent a flat, for example)