The history of DONETSK NATIONAL MEDICAL UNIVERSITY of Kropyvnytskyi (formerly Kirovograd) has been held since June 12, 1930, when in accordance with protocol No. 19/672 of the meeting of the Council of People’s Commissars of the Ukrainian SSR (Kharkov) it was decided to open the Stalin Medical Institute in the autumn of 1930 .
In 1961, the Stalin Medical Institute was renamed the Donetsk State Medical Institute.
In 1962, the Faculty of Advanced Medical Studies was established, the first dean of which was Professor R.V. Bogoslavsky. Initially, professional development was carried out in the departments leading students. Since 1963, organized by the department of the Faculty of Advanced Medical Studies.
In 1963, the dental faculty opened its doors, headed by Professor N.N. Trankvilatati.
From 1964 to 1985, the Institute’s team was led by the Head of the Department of Microbiology, Virology and Immunology, Honored Scientist of Ukraine, Professor Gennady Petrovich Kondratenko, who had previously worked as a Vice-Rector for Academic Affairs. For the first time in history, the university was headed by a former graduate. The institute was developing rapidly in the 60-70s. New buildings, dormitories, educational and clinical facilities have expanded, the volume of scientific research has increased.
Expansion of the educational and production base of the Institute was promoted by the commissioning of a new six-story building of the sanitary-hygienic faculty – the 3rd academic building (in 1971). In the new building there is an assembly hall for 1000 seats, an audience for 160, 190 and 420 seats.
From 1965 to 1985, the clinical base of the institute expanded considerably. It is represented by a large network of medical institutions. More than 70 city and central district hospitals, about 20 children’s hospitals and departments, 20 dental departments and polyclinics, as well as 13 sanitary-epidemiological stations are used for the practical practice of students and the work of graduate students.
Important changes occurred in the faculty. So, if in the 1962/1963 school year there were 439 teachers at the institute, 22 of them are doctors and 54 candidates of science, then in the 1980/1981 school year there were already 884 employees in 6 faculties, a preparatory department, in the central research laboratory including 83 doctors and 508 candidates of science.
By the mid-70s, the Donetsk State Medical Institute has evolved from a small 3rd category university to one of the largest and leading medical institutes in the USSR, second only to the 1st Moscow Medical Institute and the 2nd Moscow Medical Institute in terms of the number of students trained. In the 80s of the twentieth century, a set of 1 course for all faculties was more than 1000 students. In general, at all 5 faculties of the Institute, more than 6,000 students studied.
Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated June 15, 1994 No. 407 to Donetsk State Medical Institute. Gorky was granted university status and the university was certified for the fourth (highest) level of accreditation.
By the Decree of the President of Ukraine dated August 23, 2007 No. 785/2007 to the Donetsk State Medical University. Gorky was given the status of national.
On July 5, 2014, Donetsk was fully occupied by the Russian army, Russian mercenaries, and representatives of local collaborators. In this regard, Donetsk National Medical University today is located in the regional center – the city of Kropyvnytskyi (formerly Kirovograd).
According to the consolidated ranking of higher educational institutions of Ukraine in 2015, compiled by the information educational resource “Osvita.ua”, Donetsk National Medical University. M. Gorky took the 13th place among all universities of Ukraine, 1 place – among medical universities, and 4th place – among universities of the eastern region.
Years will pass, but we are confident that future generations of university staff and students will continue the glorious history of the native ALMA MATER with honor!
- Faculty of General Medicine
- Faculty of Pediatrics
- Faculty of Dentistry (Stomatology)
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Post Graduate Education
- Faculty of Preventive Medicine
- Faculty of Nursing